Established in late 1987 (known then as H.J. Promotions), we started out as a home delivery service of frozen fruit juice (The Home Juice Co).
Fruit juice alone was not sufficient to sustain a home delivery service and so we diversified our range of products. We asked our customers what they wanted and they asked for organic produce. We first supplied organic produce around 1990. Customers wanted more and more organic products and we began to specialise in it during the early 90's. We were one of the earliest retailers of organic foods in Brisbane. Over time we gradually expanded our range and we are currently one of the largest retailers of organic produce in Australia, Servicing areas in South East and Central QLD
We offer an honest and ethical service where customers are guaranteed that the fresh produce they receive is CERTIFIED organic by an AQIS accredited body (uncertified organically grown mushrooms are the only exception to this fresh produce rule).
Overall our prices are very competitive and the quality and freshness superior to that offered elsewhere. Because of our large turnover and the fact that we were in the industry before wholesalers became established at the markets, we purchase the bulk of our produce (80 - 90%) directly from growers whereas other outlets mostly purchase from wholesalers.
A brief snapshot:
- Rob Maclachlan, who owns and operates Organic & Quality Foods, registered a business 'H.J. Promotions' in late 1987. Commencing trading in January 1988, THE HOME JUICE COMPANY was a Brisbane home delivery service for fruit juice. Customers asked for organic produce and so we began to supply it. We joined the ASSURE ORGANIC BUYING GROUP. Assure was founded by a number of organic shops to help source organic produce. It was established before any wholesalers of organic produce in Brisbane. Our computer system, combined with personalised service and organic products, saw the business grow.
- Our steady growth saw us needing larger premises and so we moved. We have operated from:
- Sherwood Rd SHERWOOD - '88 to '93
- 6c Annie St COOPERS PLAINS - '93 to '97
- 2/39 Achievement Crescent ACACIA RIDGE - '98 to '05
- A1/57 Assembly Street, SALISBURY - Oct 05 to now.
- In 1994/95 we officially adopted the name Organic & Quality Foods. In 1998, Assure ceased to operate and we took over buying the produce direct from farmers - continuing to supply member shops. In 1999 we became incorporated as 'Organic & Quality Foods P/L' February 2000 saw the introduction of credit cards for payment.
- May 2000 saw the introduction of Internet Shopping.
NO genetic engineering.
FREE OF synthetic chemicals, pesticides, fertilisers, herbicides, artificial preservatives, colours and flavours, antibiotics, growth regulators and stimulants.